Slow HP Printer: A fix for HP Wireless Printers

Slow HP Printer? You’re not alone!

Recently I had a couple of computer repair customers who had HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 series printers. One was an OfficeJet Pro 8600 and the other the OfficeJet Pro 8620. They were both experiencing similar issues. Both complained about a slow HP printer, and both were using Wireless networking to print, and experienced rather severe problems aside from slowness. One would simply refuse to print until either the computer or the printer were restarted. The other would print fine for a few pages and then stop for sometimes several minutes before it started back up. This made printing long documents very difficult for the customer.

I tried various fixes including using older PCL-only drivers, and OfficeJet 8600 drivers on the 8620. The problems persisted. Finally, I gave up and called HP. Slow HP Printers, specially wireless, are apparently a real problem, since they were able to identify the issue immediately and fixed it in just a few minutes.

Since I could find no documentation on the web regarding this easy fix for a slow HP printer, I thought I would write it up for you here. This fix should also work on other models that are similarly configured, such as the newer OfficeJet Pro 8720.

The Fix

The general idea is that we’re going to configure both the printer and the computer to use Port 9100 printing instead of the default configuration. Once configured, the slow HP printer should be a fast HP printer.

Step 1: Find the Printer’s IP Address

Use the control panel on the printer itself.

• Touch  Settings > Wireless > Display Network Configuration > Display Network Summary (or similar).
  • It should display at least 4 lines: Hostname, IP Address, MAC and SSID. If it shows none of those things, then it isn’t connected to a network, and this isn’t the guide you’re looking for.
  • Write down the IP Address It’ll look like “192.168.1.10” or “10.0.0.3” or something similar.

Step 2: Log In to Printers Web Interface

Now, open up a web browser, and enter the IP address of the printer in the Address bar, and press Enter. You’ll be presented with the HP Embedded Web Server. That’s great! We’re getting there.

ss2016-09-16at06-37-59

Step 3: Set a Static IP Address

Normally your router will assign your printer an IP address every time it reconnects. We’re going to bypass that. Click the “Network” tab, and then select “IPv4 Configuration” on the left column. Change the setting under “IP Address Configuration” on the right side so that “Manual IP” is selected instead of “Automatic IP”. Don’t change any of the IP information. Your router is smart enough not to assign that IP to another computer, so we’re not going to worry about changing the IP. We’re just ensuring it doesn’t change. DNS Address Configuration should be changed to “Manual DNS Server”. Click Apply.

Step 4: Change Bonjour Priority

Click the Advanced Settings option on the left column. Several options will show themselves. Select “Bonjour”. Bonjour should already be enabled. Open the “Bonjour Highest Priority Service” drop down, and select “9100 Printing”, then click Apply.

Step 5: Enable TCP Port 9100 Printing

Still under Advanced Settings in the left column, click “Port 9100 Printing”. Enable it on the right side, and click Apply.

Step 6: Configure the PC for Port 9100 Printing

While I am presenting these steps as done in Windows 10, they are almost identical between Windows XP, 7, 8, and 10.

• Open the Control Panel, and go to Printers (or View devices and Printers).Slow HP Printer: Configure TCP/IP Port
  • Right Click on the slow HP printer and select “Printer properties”.
  • Select the “Ports” tab, and then “Add Port…”.
  • Select “Standard TCP/IP Port”, and then click “New Port…” and click Next.
  • Type in your printer’s IP Address, and let Windows select the Port Name. Click Next.
  • Close the “New Port” box.
  • Click on the new port, which says “Standard TCP/IP Port” and click “Configure Port…”
  • Click the check box labeled “SNMP Status Enabled” and then click OK.

Now, try printing a document. You may need to cancel any documents you’d tried to print previously, but even those will likely start printing.

This should fix your problem with a slow HP printer. It changes the networking of the printer to use a more tried and true TCP/IP connection on port 9100, which is how network printers have been printing since, well, forever.

Did this work for you? Please let us know in the comments. We’d love to hear your experiences with this fix for your slow HP printer!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

19 comments

Skip to comment form

• Guido on February 5, 2017 at 4:02 am

Did not work… Unfortunately!

• R J on May 2, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Yes!! Finally!!! I so appreciate your instructions. They were easy to follow and my printer is back to the pre-windows 10 speed. Thank you so much.

1. Great, I’m so glad!

• Donna on August 17, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Thanks – I tried this and it helped a little but not a lot!

• Mary on September 27, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Do you know what the last port step would be on a mac?

• Carl Korn on December 7, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I got stuck when I switched from Automatic to Manual IP. I got error messages requiring me to provide Manual IP Address (I used my current IP address), Manual Subnet Mask (I couldn’t get this to accept blanks or my current address), Manual Default Gateway (I used my current IP address).

• Stefan on December 31, 2017 at 6:52 am

Fantastic! PDF A4 printing (W10 64 bit) went from 2 min to 2 sec per page.

If the Step 6 Properties/Ports tab is greyed out: go to the General tab, push on “Change Properties”, then go back to the Ports Tab

• Rémi Habak on January 14, 2018 at 10:32 am

PDF documents that used to print (slow) stoped printing at all. Word documents are still ok. Scanning from the printer is also still ok.
    I reset to the old port (WSD-0…) and PDF documents started to print again, slowly slowly like before.
    I think the problem is PDF, it is also slow to open the documents.
    My Solution: I am looking for a replacement of Adobe PDF Reader. Any suggestions anyone?

1. Try Foxit Reader 🙂

• Yoric on January 22, 2018 at 12:10 am

YAAYYY!!!Worked real quick! Thanks

• Rémi Habak on January 22, 2018 at 4:46 am

Hi,
    My printer always had a dedicated (static) IP address in my router, as most of my devices for security purposes. So this part was not an issue.
    The part about the 9100 port ended up by the printer not workin at all. Documents would be queued but never print. I finally restored the previous port and everything started to print again. PDF are still slow and word, Excel, etc… are ok.

• Glenn on February 5, 2018 at 7:57 am

As was already suggested, try Foxit but you can also try to print a downloaded PDF directly from a browser (assuming the browser is set to open PDFs in the browser).

• Glenn on February 5, 2018 at 7:54 am

Great instructions. First page prints twice as fast but would like it faster. I had everything done already except the new port. You should send this to HP where their normal response would be to uninstall the printer, the software and if that didn’t work uninstall Windows.

1. I actually got this by watching HP in a remote session because I could not figure it out. The tech was quite good.

• April Kirby on February 23, 2018 at 6:51 am

Thanks so much for this. Just fixed the MIL’s business printer and it couldn’t of been any easier. She’s very happy.

• MELODY on August 8, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Didn’t help mine at all 🙁

1. Aw, I’m really sorry to hear that. Maybe it’s not the problem? What is the main issue you’re having, and what kind of printer is it?

• Dennis on August 10, 2018 at 2:50 am

Wow!

Officejet Pro 6970 been printing slow on my Win10 laptop. I tried this and now it is as quick as it should. Step 5 wasn’t an option in the web-interface, but I went ahead and did the 9100 setup on my laptop and that solved it. Thanks!

1. Great! I’m glad it helped you.