"a program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for internet explorer"

I ran into this error after upgrading someones PC from IE7 to IE8. It took me a while to find the right fix so I thought I’d share it.

Navigate in windows explorer to c:\
Right click on “Documents and Settings” and go to Properties
If “Read-Only” is checked or even grayed in under “Attributes” then uncheck it and click apply. Now restart IE8 again, and the problem should be solved. It is most likely a permissions issue and this fixes it.


  1. I know this is an old post, but just wanted to say Thank you. I’ve pulled my hair out for days going through MS solutions (and others) with no success. This worked right away. Thanks for leaving this up for so long.

  2. Hey there Scott. Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.